Walking Workouts14th February 2021
Goal Setting for Fitness21st February 2021
If (like lots of us in January) you are making more conscious choices in terms of healthy, whole-food options with a lot of protein and nutrients. Then snacks can be integral to maintaining this (and to weight loss if that is your goal).
Some can even help keep you full throughout the day and limit your cravings for processed/high sugar foods. I wanted to share with you my favourite Top 10 snacks
- Mixed Nuts – Nuts provide the perfect balance of healthy fat, protein, and fibre. Because they don’t require refrigeration, they’re perfect for taking on the go.
- Red bell peppers – these are extremely healthy.
Although all bell peppers are nutritious, red varieties are particularly high in antioxidants. They’re are also rich in vitamin C. I like to pair this with either Hummus or Guacamole.
- Greek Yoghurt & Berries – Plain Greek yogurt and berries make a delicious, nutrient-dense snack. In addition to being a great source of calcium and potassium, Greek yogurt is also high in protein. Berries are one of the best sources of antioxidants around.
- Apples and peanut butter taste fantastic together.
Apples are high in fibre and polyphenol antioxidants that improve gut health and reduce heart disease risk. Peanut butter may have additional benefits for heart health.
That said, peanut butter is fairly high in calories.
- Dark Chocolate & Almonds – Dark chocolate and almonds make a rich, satisfying, and portable snack. Dark chocolate is loaded with flavanols that may lower blood pressure and reduce heart disease risk, provided the chocolate contains at least 70% cocoa solids. Almonds are high in heart-healthy monounsaturated fat and have beneficial effects on blood sugar control.
- Cherry Tomatoes & Mozzarella – Tomatoes and mozzarella cheese are a flavour match made in heaven — and they’re healthy, too. Tomatoes are rich in vitamin C, & potassium,
Mozzarella is high in protein, calcium and vitamin B12.
- Hard Boiled Eggs (OK so I absolutely HATE these, BUT they are a good snack to had to include them). Eggs are one of the healthiest and most weight-loss-friendly foods you can eat. They pack plenty of protein, as well as vitamins K2 and B12.
- A whey protein shake is a good snack when you need something substantial until your next meal. Studies show that whey protein can help you gain muscle, lose fat, and improve body composition – don’t forget, we are stockists of the organic, vegan Supernova Protein range.
- Edamame – Edamame is a dish of steamed unripened soybeans. It’s a great snack for vegetarians or anyone who enjoys their unique flavor and texture. Edamame is rich in the antioxidant kaempferol, which has been shown to cause weight loss and lower blood sugar.
- Carrot Sticks – Carrots are among the best sources of carotenoids, including beta carotene, which your body can convert into vitamin A. It’s a good idea to pair carrots with a creamy salad dressing or dip because fat increases your absorption of carotenoids.